Changing Face of Cullercoats

circa 1900
Photograph, circa 1900: 'The Dove Marine Laboratory celebrated its centenary in 1997. Initially the laboratory was a small wooden building sited next to the Salt Water Baths in Cullercoats Bay and was officially opened in October 1897. Regrettably this building was to last only7 years. It, along with the Salt Water Baths, a common feature of Victorian seaside towns was gutted by fire in March 1904.'
Photograph circa 1865

Photograph circa 1865.

circa 1820
Cullercoats, engraving circa 1820, looking North

1861 - The village has formed around the bank top

1897 - Building has expanded inland to the railway

1955 - The village up to the 1970's demolition